It may be the First of September, but that doesn't mean I'm ready to let go of my summer glow. With a few more weeks of warm weather ahead, I'm looking to maximize my sun kissed, vibrant skin before embracing the fall beauty trends. In this post, I share five tips, from nutrition to skincare to makeup, to achieve beautiful skin with a (99%!) natural glow.
- Beauty rest is real and important. One of the easiest ways to achieve a lit-from-within look is to make sure to get seven to nine hours of sleep per night. Overnight, the skin repairs and restores itself. Without a full night's rest, the skin looks dull and lackluster. Dark circles form and blemishes take longer to disappear. So tonight, tear yourself away from your Netflix binge and get your sleep on.
- Feed your glow. Once the skin is rested, it is important to make sure it's hydrated. Drinking water keeps the skin looking fresh and bright. To make my water more fun and spa-like, I like adding lemon wedges and cucumber slices. Just as important is eating "skin-friendly foods" such as blueberries and spinach. This Protein Berry Mojito Smoothie from ALOHA is packed with superfoods that promote beautiful, glowing skin. For more healthy, delicious recipes, check out the ALOHA Recipe Page!
- Scrub away the dullness. Using a brightening, exfoliating daily cleanser makes the skin look instantly smooth and bright. My favorite cleanser is the Origins GinZing Refreshing Scrub Cleanser, which I use every morning. I follow with a light moisturizer containing SPF to keep my skin looking hydrated. [Read more about my morning skincare routine here]
- Sunbathe shrewdly. Spending time outdoors is obviously the best way to look naturally sun kissed. As long as you take the necessary precautions, basking in the sun isn't harmful for the skin. Be sure to apply (and reapply!) a suntan lotion with an SPF of 30 or higher. I like the Hawaiian Tropic Silk Hydration Lotion because it has a built-in moisturizer. Limit time spent in the sun and remember to apply a lotion with aloe once indoors. The Dead Sea Essentials Aloe Vera Body Lotion smells heavenly and leaves my skin feeling silky smooth.
- When all else fails, fake it. As much as I love finding healthy and natural ways to look my best, nothing can quite compare to the effect of a good bronzer and highlight. For a summer glow, look for products that contain shimmer. The shimmer will intensify when reflecting natural sunlight. My favorites, which would work well on a wide range of skin types, are the Too Faced Sun Bunny Natural Bronzer and theBalm's Mary-Lou Manizer.